9.09.2008

TuneSpoon - The Offspring; "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace" review




Look at my profile under music..... Go ahead...... Notice who was number one under "music"? That, my friends, is why this will hurt......

On June 17th, The Offspring released their 8th studio album, "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace". I had been waiting 5 long years for this album to come. Paying close attention to the bands website, I trying to squeeze as much information out of the little they released to the public. I heard the first single on the radio and I was sold. This album was going to rock. Well, June 17th came around and the first time I listened through the album I thought just that. But, the more I heard the second side, the more disappointed I got that the first side didn't continue. So I hear this album as two 6 song EPs on the same disc.

Side One:
This group of songs show that Dexter, Noodles, and Greg K. still have what it takes to kick ass. "Half-Truism" and "Trust in You" are definitely what we have come to expect from The Offspring sound and opens the album perfectly. The two singles in "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" and "HammerHead" are perfect ways to sell the album.

I personally love "A Lot Like Me". Dexter's vocals make the song very exciting and gives the song the passion and urgency the music calls for. Numerous people have said that they are ripping off "Clocks" by Coldplay. I make the opposite claim that they took "Clocks" and made it better. HA! Take that jerks!

Now, side two [here comes my production rant]:
Side two was in fact victimized by Bob Rock. My opinion is that there has always been a way to distinguish The Offspring from Green Day. Bob Rock ruined that. I don't think that it was a fluke that on his first run with The Offspring songs like "Fix you" and "Rise and Fall" suddenly had the sound of the other before mentioned band. Their work with Thom Wilson and later with Brendan O'brien prove that point. The songs on side two are very good songs. I just cannot get over how they sound, and it really bothers me.

I am going to give this album 3 1/2 out of 5 based on the fact that side one bashed me in the face with a brick, kicked me in the nuts, pissed on me, and told me I suck......Then side two held me while lovingly stroking my hair and apologizing.

No comments: