9.18.2008

GameSpoon - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed



A Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
So, I've finally be able to sit down and log some quality time with this game; a game I've been waiting a long time to play. What are my initial thoughts? How do I feel about the game now that I've tried it? Are there any problems that I experienced? Let's find out:

This game is awesome. Really, this game is truly awesome. "The Force Unleashed" is just plain fun to play, period. This game is also about THE FORCE. I know some people are all hyped-up on playing this game on the Wii, because EVERYONE (self included) wants to wield a light-saber....on the Wii, as if the entire system was built only for Star Wars. I love that idea! But, this game is about kicking ass with the Force.

At the start of the game you find your first playable character to be none other than Darth Vader, with the extreme power of the force at your command. Experiencing the power of controlling the force through Vader for the first time literally made me say "wow," which was then followed by an uncontrollable urge to unleash "giddyness."

Okay, so back to the game. The point of the prologue is to setup the foundation of the game, which - as we all know - is about Darth Vader's dark, secret apprentice. So it's not long before the game passes the once mighty control you thought you finally had over Vader to his apprentice; no worries, he is pretty badass himself.

I am a huge fan of the "Knights of the Old Republic" series (KOTOR for short), so this game clicked for me instantly. I found many similarities between KOTOR and, believe it or not, Lego Star Wars - another series that I love. Due to these connections/similarities, I felt very comfortable with "The Force Unleashed"; I had a familiar sense of the game mechanics. "The Force Unleashed" may share concepts from those other games, but it is an entirely new game to experience.

Yes, I've been praising the game non-stop here, does that mean that it was perfect? No, of course not. I saw quite a few glitches during the game - loading screens would quickly flash various things across it, the cut-scenes had choppy transitions at times, and I even saw a twitching body of a stormtrooper that completely reminded me of Halo 2...anyone? I also experienced a strange visual issue, as if my Xbox/HDTV couldn't handle the graphics requirements or something. Lastly, using the Force Grip took some getting used too, but after a while, it wasn't so bad.

Would any of those pseudo-issues prevent me from recommending the game? Hell no. BUY THIS GAME - support the developers that put this out, it is fantastic. I really think that you'd enjoy this game.

TOTAL SCORE 8 out of 10

No comments: